Today I’m sharing some initial progress on my little #oakpointporch project . This porch being the one at my family’s cottage in New Brunswick. The porch is by far the most used space in the cottage, other than the kitchen, and while it’s very cozy, it’s pretty dated. There is A LOT of brown, orange and yellows which is not a colour palette I’m super keen to keep around. The porch has a living and dining area which currently looks like this:
My initial inspiration board is posted here and uses various blues, greys, pale yellows, greens and white for a fresher take on the space.
Budget is tight, so I need to re-use, re-fresh, re-purpose before buying new.
What has to stay for furniture?
1) The dining table and chairs shown above. They are relatively new and in good condition.
2) We have two old office chairs (one of which is shown below) that are a good compact size for the space, and with a little makeover (white paint, updated fabric) the pair will be perfect.
3) My Dad is a big fan of this wicker rocking chair so it is staying, but I’ll give it updated cushions and pillows. The side table-lamp combo will also remain as it is a family piece but will get a new shade.
What is going?
1) The pull-out sofa is out, but the new one has to also be a sofa-bed. Having so few beds in the cottage as it is, we can’t afford to lose any! My parents have already picked out the Manstad sofa-bed from IKEA in the dark blue colour.
2) THE WRETCHED BLINDS…..I have been bugging my mother to get rid of these blinds for years. You can’t tell from the picture but they are a about 5 times lighter where the sun comes in and are really just awful. In fairness, window treatments aren’t cheap and we have fourteen windows in the porch….so I can see why she was putting it off….but I’m glad she isn’t pushing to keep them now.
3) The flooring! The bad linoleum and old carpet will be replaced with something better…what exactly that something is has yet to be determined.
My initial inspiration board is posted here and uses various blues, greys, pale yellows, greens and white for a fresher take on the space. I have lots of ideas for how to make it pretty, but first I wanted to take a look at the floor plan with the furniture we’re keeping. I did a quick one last night using Floor planner. So far, this is what I have. (for some reason 2 of the windows did not show up…hmm).
Hmm, for some reason 2 of the windows did not show up….anyhoo, you get the idea. It’s hard to visualize the pretty stuff (colours, fabrics, accessories) in this program but this step helps me really see how the furniture can be arranged.
I’ll keep you updated on the progress.