Good afternoon, and Happy Saturday!
Today I’m featuring Recreated’s most recently completed upholstery project for Re:style Studio. This was a really great project! Based on the needs of the client, the piece had to be re-designed and parts built from scratch, but the challenge just made it more fun.
Here is what I had to start…..
The piece was found by the client but it didn’t have a cushion. Also, the client didn’t want a tufted back, so I had some shape re-design to do, but first the gorgeous antique frame was refinished in a pale gold.
As you can see, the fabric the client chose was a rich jewel-toned green velvet. I built up the back and sides with smooth curved lines, so that it retained the original antique look (i.e. not too bulky), but was still comfortable to sit on.
Then we had to build a cushion from scratch, which was very fun. We decided to make one large french-style settee cushion. Andrea of Re:style sourced a 10 pound bag of down feathers and I sewed up a form. Getting the feathers in the cushion was definitely a two-person job! But even with both Andrea and I on the job, by the time we were finished we were literally eating feathers. I think it was at least a few days before the feathers were totally gone from the studio. Here is an uber-unflattering photo of us after the cushion filling….but I wanted you to see the feather chaos.
hmm, now that I look at it, this photo is also a little phallic…..and given that fact, I may be hugging the cushion a little too lovingly, but I digress. Once the cushion was made, I sewed up the fabric cover, and it was done!
And here is a picture of the finished product, shot in the client’s home!
If you are interested in getting quote for one of your projects contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great day!