Millions of peaches, peaches for me….remember that song? (If you don’t, please don’t tell me as I am probably aging myself). Well, I don’t have millions of peaches, but I do love them especially when they are in season in Ontario. You may have noticed on my instagram feed that I made some peach jam a couple of weekends ago. I had quite a few leftover peaches so this past weekend I decided to make some peach chutney with the extra! I used this recipe from Epicurious with some of my own added ingredients. It turned out pretty darn good (insert “pat on back” here), so I thought I would share what I did with you today.
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded, diced 1/4 inch, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded & diced, 2 tablespoons (I didn’t use this because I didn’t want it to be too spicy)
- 1/3 cup white raisins
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds firm, fresh peaches, blanched to remove the skin, pit removed, sliced into wedges.
Then I also added:
- 1 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
What I did:
Add vinegar and both sugars into a non-reactive pot, cook over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the red pepper, onion, jalapeño, raisins, garlic, ginger, salt and the additional spices I used, and simmer 10 minutes.
Have a great day!